Spartans Sign Letters of Intent

Back to Article
Back to Article

Spartans Sign Letters of Intent

Shea Lauria (12) describes her plans at Wichita State

Allie Keith

Allie Keith

Allie Keith

Arjun Shreekumar, Digital Director

On November 14th, five Spartans committed to college sports teams across the country. A large crowd of cheering classmates watched in the field house as the students officially signed their letters of intent and began the journey towards the next level of competition.

Maddie and Emma Tabor (12) were first to make their way up, signing on to the Marquette Womens’ Soccer team. Emma explains that the duo had committed to the university as sophomores, with the recruiting process starting as early as their freshman year.

Getting involved that early required a lot of effort, Tabor continues. She had to be proactive and initiate contact on their own, following a number of rules and regulations set by the National College Athletes Association.

For those looking to begin the recruiting process, Tabor advises to be persistent. Admissions officers get many emails and texts per day, so it is important for students to make repeated contact and ensure recruiters “recognize your name when they see it”.

Allie Keith
Maddie and Emma Tabor brim with excitement as they sign on to Marquette.

Braden Rumpit (12) will be joining the University of Wisconsin, Madison’s Mens’ swimming and diving team. Like the Tabors, he has been involved in sports for a while, starting his diving career at the young age of ten. He emphasizes the importance of meeting face-to-face with the college coaches.

Rumpit argues that club practice is one of the best ways to make that contact. Through club practices and meets he was able to both meet the Madison coach and demonstrate his skill firsthand. Rumpit believes that that relationship was a big leg up in the admissions process – while he had to make the first move, the Madison coach personally invited “[Rumpit] for a visit”.

Allie Keith
Braden Rumpit (12) listens as Activities Director Ben Westphal introduces him.

Now that she has committed to the Wichita State Womens’ Volleyball team, Shea Lauria (12) is looking forward to the opportunities in her future. In particular, she is excited to see how skilled her seniors will be. In college, she will be among others who excelled at the high school level, so she will have to work her way back to the top and “gain some grit”.

Lauria is confident that her experience at Wichita State will also develop her character, forcing her to mature and grow as a person. Competing on a more regular and intense basis, Lauria will have to be able to adapt to a larger variety of situations and “deal whatever’s on [her] plate”.

Allie Keith
Ready to go, Lauria seals the deal with Wichita State.

Likewise, Zoe Woods (12) was immediately drawn to Texas Christian University’s Womens’ Swimming team for its friendly and welcoming environment. From the moment she arrived for her visit, she felt at home. The upperclassmen were quick to “take [her] under their wing” and give her an idea of what college athletics are like.

In fact, Woods liked TCU so much that she verbally committed to the team just a week after her visit. She’s excited to join her fellow swimmers in the Big Ten next year.

Allie Keith
Zoe Woods (12) recounts the process of getting to know her TCU family.