Meet the New 2022-2033 Class Presidents

Meet the New 2022-2033 Class Presidents

Maggie Stapel

This fall, Brookfield East Students elected four new class presidents, freshman Jake Zheng (9), sophomore Rohith Kumar (10), junior Fletch Allenstein (11), and senior Ruba Ahmed (12). 

For Kumar and Ahmed, the role of class president is a new undertaking. But, for Allenstein and Zheng, the role of class president is a familiar position. Zheng has “been very involved in the school community, and [he] hope[s] that people have come to know [him] as a friendly and listening face in the student body.” Allenstein was the class of 2024’s president last year and has found a passion for “being in charge and leading.” 

In campaigning for this role, many of these presidents have shared the same approach. Kumar says his method to success was “word of mouth. I went around and asked people to vote for me, I told them my ideas.” Allenstein took a similar route, having his fellow junior officers “Lucy, Ella, and Clara talk to people.” Zheng has prided himself in “connecting individually with many people, and getting to know and establish friendships with them.” This connection goes beyond just election day for him though, he wants to “truly learn and befriend them.” Zheng and Allenstein also have found that a classic poster on the wall does the trick. 

The class president’s role is mostly to organize fundraisers for their grades, however, that doesn’t mean they don’t have any other goals for their campaigns. Zheng says, “listening to opinions, suggestions, and recommendations, and then acting on them is my foremost goal. If students want change, I will strive to try and help them achieve their visions.” He also acknowledged the importance of “fundrais[ing] as much as possible, in order to provide the highest quality school experiences and activities.” Kumar has similarly set a goal of “unifying the 2025 class through a lot of fundraisers and service projects.” Allenstein’s goals have become junior-year oriented, and he is hoping to “make prom exciting and interesting for everyone.” 

These presidents will work alongside the rest of the officer teams consisting of  Vice presidents, Secretaries, and Treasurers. Allenstein’s team has built quite a bond over their past two years working together. Other teams are newly formed, such as Kumar’s. He had to meet all of them this year but fortunately, Kumar says, “I had a meeting [last week] and I think it went really smoothly.” Zheng’s team is a mix of new and familiar officers. “Kyra, the treasurer, Reese, the secretary, and I worked together last year, so we have already built a lot of friendship, chemistry, and communication skills! Henry, our VP, is new to our squad this year but has always been a friend of ours, and we are excited to welcome him into our team.”

The school year is young and a class president’s work is just beginning. The class officers express optimism for the new school year. “So far, the team and I have made a lot of progress,” Zheng says, “and we are manifesting smooth sailing for the rest of the year!”