Choirs and Orchestras Combine for the Sounds of the Seasons Concert

Emily Zhang

Lights dimmed, and an auditorium packed with musicians, families, and friends, voices of the Brookfield East choir marked the start of a memorable evening. 

Under the direction of orchestra director Mr. Fitzpatrick and choir director Ms. Doepke, students performed at the annual Sounds of the Seasons concert at the Shattuck Auditorium on Wednesday, Dec. 14. The concert featured the combined talents of Brookfield East orchestra students, choir students, and select band students. Many pieces also featured various soloists, including Alyssa Okamoto (Violin), Ty Veldhouse (Violin), Kate Weisman (Cello), Sofia Koenig (Piano), Angelo Rosa (Voice), Grace Walters (Vocal). 

From holiday classics such as “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year” to the well-known Handel’s “Hallelujah’s Chorus” and Eric Whitacre’s “Glow,” students performed a diverse repertoire of compositions. Many of these pieces featured a blend of instrumentation and achieved a balance of various ensembles. 

Prior to performance day, musicians refined their performance and improved their musicianship. A week before the concert, musicians attended combined practices during excellence and before schools to add the finishing touches. With all musicians practicing in the same room, the magic began to come together. 

The concert was the first combined concert for many students, making the experience even more special. Mr. Fitzpatrick, the orchestra director who is new to Brookfield East this year, experienced the concert for the first time. 

Having only heard Brookfield East and Brookfield Central strings ensembles perform, he cherishes the fact that the concert allows the audience to “hear the combined ensembles fill out the instrumentation.” He says, “it is really a special experience that we only get to experience only once a year.” 

Alyssa Okamoto (12), a violin soloist, also shares “[the concert] was an incredible experience playing with the choir and the united energy was incredible. I am so grateful for everyone who came to the concert and teachers who have supported us along the way.” 

A truly special night, the Sounds of the Seasons concert is a cherished tradition that speaks to the strength of the music department and the talents within it.