By The Students Of Brookfield East High School

The Spartan Banner

The Spartan Banner

The Spartan Banner

Hamilton: Your Next Best APUSH Study Guide

Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Hamilton has been popular ever since it came out in January 2016. After making a billion dollars in ticket sales and having more than 7.8 million people seeing the 2-hour and 33m show on stage, the Hamilton fanbase has still been growing. The soundtrack has become popular with more than a billion streams on Spotify. It was #1 on the chart breaking the record for the highest album rankings, and the music discs have been listened to at least 10 million times. Lin-Manuel Miranda has not written many of the song titles or the words used in them. They are historical writings, found in documents, newspapers, letters, or any other written accounts of extreme historical importance. 

This show has Greatly Helped students throughout AP US history. Cornell (11) said that it wasn’t any particular song, but the whole soundtrack that helped her study for the class. Songs like Guns and Ships, Yorktown, and Aaron Burr, Sir are only some examples of songs that directly deal with historical content.

¨Whenever I finish this play it will be used for teachers¨ Lin Manuel-Miranda said, 6 years before the play came out. The impact of Hamilton is widespread, as the Hamilton cast has also gone to many schools to help high school students. In May of 2016, thirteen teams of 11th graders from all around New York got the opportunity to perform their two-minute piece of an event or person from the birth of their country. 

The general public also recognizes the effects of Hamilton on students. Launer, Del Mar resident, and renowned San Diego theater critic and arts writer said that “Hamilton” appeals to young people through its songs which she called “infectious, catchy, and memorable…part of Lin-Manuel Miranda’s genius… Students remember them, and they learn from them,” 

The San Diego Country Office of Education (SDCOE) stated how: ¨This project is transformative. ‘Hamilton’ has struck a chord with our nation’s students because it embodies what great history education is all about bringing the past to life and fostering connections with the exceptional individuals and moments that have made us who we are. This program empowers students to reclaim their narrative and empowers teachers to bridge classroom learning with the stage.” 

Hamilton ultimately isn’t just a great show, it is a learning resource for students. It fosters interest and learning in the history of the great nation that we all live in.