By The Students Of Brookfield East High School

The Spartan Banner

The Spartan Banner

The Spartan Banner

Brookfield East’s Girls Who Code Chapter Works To Close The Gender Gap In STEM

Did you know that women only represent 26% of those in technology, despite holding 49% of the jobs in the US? While women continue to be a minority in the field, their representation is slowly growing. Girls Who Code is an international non-profit that is working to increase the number of women in technology and STEM. Girls Who Code has over 6.300 chapters worldwide, one of which is the Brookfield East chapter. Amoolya Mammula (12) is the co-president of BEHS’ Girls Who Code Chapter. Check out Spartan Banner’s interview with Mammula about the work they do as a club. 

What is your club’s purpose? 

Girls Who Code is an international nonprofit organization that aims to support and increase the number of women in computer science.

What makes your club unique? 

Girls Who Code aimed specifically for beginners to learn and explore how to code. It requires no experience — only a willingness to learn! Also, Girls Who Code provides tech support for their programs.

What are challenges you’ve encountered in running this club?

It can be difficult to make sure the students retain all the information they’re learning in the sessions due the club’s meeting schedule. Everyone must practice in their own time in order to get better; that’s how coding works!

What are your goals for the future in the club?

Make sure the club continues running strong next year and on. We also aim to recruit more girls from middle and elementary school so we can grow students’ coding skills from a young age! We’re trying to encourage interest and curiosity for computer science in our community to help bridge the gender gap in technology.

Why should people join your club?

First, coding is an awesome side hustle to make money and it’s really useful in daily life. Coding helps automate boring and mundane tasks, plus it’s so powerful! You can build so many incredible things! 

If you’re interested in learning more Girls Who Code, contact 

Amoolya Mammula at [email protected] to find out how you can become more involved! We need more representation in technology from women and each person matters!